As the Proud Host City, Birmingham is home to:
- 5 competition venues including Alexander Stadium, Edgbaston, Arena Birmingham, University of Birmingham, Smithfield and Sutton Park.
- 2 road races – Marathon and Triathlon
- 1 athletes’ village at University of Birmingham
- 9 festival sites, including sites in Victoria Square and Smithfield
In the run up to and during the Games there'll be some changes to parking and how the roads operate around competition venues, the road race events and some transport hubs.
Changes that you might see include:
- The parking restrictions are designed to protect residential streets, ensure you can access your homes safely and reduce spectator parking in restricted areas.
- To help reduce traffic in and around venues, spectators travelling to the events will be encouraged to use public transport, with the cost included in their event tickets.
- The Road Races events will require additional road closures to ensure the safe operation of the event for both athletes and spectators. These closures and restrictions will be in for the shortest amount of time possible but are subject to safety assessments on the day, before being removed.
In the event of rail industrial action, some rail stations will be used as park and ride sites and will not be accessible to the public. The impact of any rail industrial action may vary so keep up to date with the latest changes.
These areas will be busier than usual so please plan ahead and look at alternatives to driving like walking or cycling shorter journeys, taking public transport or travelling at a different time to avoid peak times.
We will be continuously updating this area of the website as planning moves forward and we get closer to the Games, so keep coming back to see the latest information.
For more information on each venue, including a list of affected roads click the links below: