Alexander Stadium will host the Opening and Closing Ceremonies of the Games and will be home to Athletics from 27 July to 8 August. In the run up to, and during this time, there will be restrictions in place to support the operation of the Games and reduce the impact on local residents and businesses.
The stadium area is undergoing a transformation in the lead up to the Games. To find out what works are happening in the area click here
The map above shows where restrictions will be and what they will mean to you if you live or work on an impacted road.
To keep you moving throughout the Games, check which areas, roads and rail routes will be busiest with our Travel Advice page.
Opening and Closing Ceremonies and Rehearsals
If you live or work near Alexander Stadium please note there will be differences to the traffic management operation on the days when the Opening and Closing Ceremonies, and two dress rehearsals, are taking place, to ensure all events run smoothly.
These dates are Sunday 24 July, Tuesday 26 July, Thursday 28 July, and Monday 8 August, and the additional measures will be in place from 3PM until 12.30AM.
The additional measures are:
- Aldridge Road will be restricted to only allow access to: residents of the road, businesses, Games traffic and local buses in both directions
- There will be no right turn from Walsall Road onto Aldridge Road, except for residents of the road, businesses, Games traffic and local buses
- Vehicles will only be able to turn left out of Rocky Lane onto the A34
- There will be no access into Perry Avenue from the A34 southbound, or access out of Perry Avenue onto the A34 southbound
- A34 southbound will be restricted to local access, Games traffic and local buses only from Beeches Road
- Additional Vehicle Check Points will be in place on the A34 and Aldridge Road (these are highlighted on the map enclosed)
You can download the map below to see these extra measures in detail.
Perry Barr Diversion Routes
To navigate around the temporary road restrictions and closures in the Perry Barr area please use the map below: