Australia came from two goals down to keep their bid to retain their Commonwealth Games men’s hockey title on track after a 3-2 win over hosts England.

Goals from Phil Roper, his fifth of the tournament, and skipper Zach Wallace gave England a shock 2-0 lead in Birmingham.

But Australia – who have won men’s gold every time since hockey was introduced into the Games in 1998 – levelled through Blake Govers and Jacob Anderson before Daniel Beale struck the fourth-quarter winner.

Monday’s gold medal match will be between Australia and India, while England play South Africa in the battle for bronze.

Australia, ranked number one in the world, were hot favourites to make a seventh successive Commonwealth Games final.

The Kookaburras had also won their previous five matches against England, with their last defeat coming at the 2014 Champions Trophy.

But England, ranked sixth in the world, started on the front foot and forced a series of penalty corners, the last of which produced a skirmish and David Goodfield firing wide.

Australia slowly got on top and home goalkeeper Oliver Payne stood tall to foil Govers, Aron Zalewski, and Joshua Beltz.

From the last of those chances, England launched a superb counter-attack and Roper raced onto Wallace’s pass.

The angle was tight but Roper drilled the ball between the legs of goalkeeper Johan Durst to send the capacity crowd wild.

England doubled their lead four minutes into the second quarter when Nicholas Bandurak’s penalty corner hit an Australian player on the line as it was going into the goal.

Wallace stepped up to convert the free stroke, easily beating the static Durst.

Stuart Rushmere had a chance to increase the lead before Govers, having been denied by Payne at his near post, halved the deficit from a penalty corner.

Will Calnan was sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes at the start of the third quarter, and England were really up against it when Thomas Sorby’s suspension saw them reduced to nine men.

Australia piled on the pressure but struggled to create clear-cut chances before a huge roar greeted Calnan’s return.

But the Kookaburras equalised through Anderson’s powerful reverse finish after he found space down the left.

The goal stood after a video referral but England refused to surrender.

Bandurak’s effort was cleared off the line by Flynn Ogilvie and the stretching Chris Griffiths fired over the top.

But Australia withstood late home pressure to leave England attempting to emulate picking up the bronze medal won in 1998, 2014 and 2018.

India beat South Africa in the first semi-final.

Abishek and Singh Mandeep scored in the second quarter to give India a 2-0 lead at half-time.

South Africa got themselves back into the game with a goal from Ryan Julius in the third quarter.

Singh Jugraj restored India's two-goal lead and although Mustapha Cassiem pulled one back for South Africa, India held on.

Singh Manpreet said: “In the 2018 Commonwealth Games we lost the semi-final and we learned good things. That’s what we apply in this Commonwealth Games. We should not underestimate any team. Any team will come with their best and we should give our best every single match, so that’s what we did.”