Closing date: 31 May 2019
About the role
Reporting to the Head of Engagement & Legacy this a unique opportunity to join the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as Sustainability and Legacy Manager. This role will be responsible for implementing a sustainable events management system using international standards that reflect world’s best practice. This role requires advocacy and coordination across all stakeholders including B2022 functional areas (FA’s), and key B2022 partners such as Birmingham City Council, West Midlands Combined Authority, other local Councils, DCMS, the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), the supply chain, community groups and NGO’s and, where required, the international sporting and events community.
This role will also include liaising across all functional areas to facilitate the greatest possible contribution to our partners’ legacy aspirations and include developing, in conjunction with each FA, technical briefs and action plans for sustainability.
- Develop policies and procedures to ensure Birmingham 2022 has minimal negative impact on the environment, promotes healthy living, responsible sourcing, more sustainable behaviour and leaves a positive environmental and sustainability legacy:
- Manage and monitor OC-wide activity in relation to adhering with the principles within the OC Environment and Sustainability Policy.
- Implement a sustainable events management system using international standards that reflect world’s best practice
- Implement a reporting system using international standards to report against sustainability indicators, and publish an annual sustainability report
- Quantify, monitor and control the ongoing environmental impact of the activities events and legacy of the Games for all B2022 partners and stakeholders.
- Coordinate across all FA’s and key B2022 partners such as the Birmingham City Council, West Midlands Combined Authority, other local Councils, DCMS, the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF), CGFP, the supply chain, community groups and NGO’s and, where required, the international sporting and events community to ensure that sustainability considerations are included within the design and delivery of activities, products and services.
- Work effectively across all Functional Areas to facilitate the maximum awareness of opportunities to contribute to Games partners’ legacy aspirations.
- Liaise with DCMS, BCC and WMCA to ensure understanding of, and contribution to, key legacy themes
- Promote opportunities for internal and external partners to contribute to legacy aspirations.
Key Experience required
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong professional background in environmental management, member of appropriate professional institute and qualification in a suitable subject
- NEBOSH qualification
- Demonstrable experience of working in an ISO 14001 certified organisation
- Experience of developing and implementing environmental management systems and operational management plans
- Understanding of the interactions of the Sustainability and Legacy Programme across other Functional Areas and stakeholder groups
- Excellent technical knowledge and practical understanding of environmental sustainability related to event management
- Ability to research and synthesise complex technical subjects into practical, cost-effective and timely action plans and solutions
- Ability to build and maintain effective partnerships
- Good organisational skills, especially those associated with putting action plans together to make them come to fruition and delivering within the context of the department’s objectives and goals
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary organisation and to cooperate both internally and with external organisations in an integrated manner
- Experience of other major event sustainability and/or legacy programs would be a considerable advantage
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation. We encourage applications from all diverse backgrounds and communities.
For more details, download the job description.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match our requirements to [email protected].