Position Type: Full-Time with Lagardère Sports UK LTD
Closing Date: 11 July 2019
About the role
The Games Services Director will lead Games Services planning work for the Commonwealth Games Federation Partnerships (CGFP) (a joint venture between the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) and Lagardère Sports). The role will be responsible for supporting the CGFP’s work for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games Organising Committee.
The Games Services Director is responsible for the development and delivery of Games Services to key client groups at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. Games Services is comprised of the following Functional Areas (FAs):
- Catering, Cleaning & Waste
- Medical Services
- Games Family Services
The Games Services department will work very closely with other operational areas such as Venues and Sport to ensure the development and implementation of a cohesive and integrated plan for the Commonwealth Games that meets the needs of client groups (Athletes, Media, Games Family, Spectators, Sponsors, Workforce) etc.
The Director of Games Services will have direct reports from each of the Functional Areas within the Games Services department. The role is primarily operational in nature and its responsibilities are delivered through a significant workforce comprising of paid, volunteer and contractor staff.
The role has a number of interfaces with external partner and contractor organisations and successful relationships with these organisations will be pivotal in ensuring successful delivery at Games Time. A primary measure of the success of this role will be the quality of the Games time experience provided by the Games Services team to the Birmingham 2022 client groups.
- Lead the development and implementation of detailed strategic and operational plans for all Games Services functional areas based on detailed understanding of client group requirements and agreed service levels
- Coordinate integrated planning of all Games Service functional areas (inner divisional and cross divisional)
- Lead and manage the performance of the Games Services Division functional area managers with particular focus on effective procurement and contractor engagement as well as delivery
- Lead the development, testing and implementation of Games Services related policies with a cross functional and integrated approach
- Ensure appropriate contracts and contract management frameworks are in place to meet the needs of major service contract areas including Accommodation, Catering, Cleaning & Waste and Logistics
- Oversee budgets and headcount levels across all Games Services functional areas projects providing business cases as required in support of requirements for expenditure
- Ensure that all aspects of Games Services activities are appropriately integrated and delivered to the standards that are required by the OC (and consistent with the approved strategy for each Games Service functional area).
- Ensure that the Games Services department delivers in a manner consistent with the overall timelines established and agreed across the OC.
- Ensure that internal employees and stakeholders are satisfied with the defined level of service being provided by the Games Services team, recognising the various phases in the development of the Games Services area and competing interests.
- Develop service level standards and ensure adherence to them for development and delivery operations
- The OC and partners are committed to delivering the Games as efficiently and effectively as possible to ensure the event is sustainable and accessible to all in the long term. We are seeking individuals to join us who are innovative, commercially astute and have a genuine passion and interest in delivering the most sustainable, inclusive and accessible Commonwealth Games to date.
Key Experience and Skills Requirements
- Senior organisational experience of a major sporting event
- Well-rounded understanding and experience of procurement processes and procedures
- Extensive operational leadership experience in either the public or private sector in a complex stakeholder environment.
- Demonstrated experience creating a high performing organisational team with a strong leadership culture
- Experience managing a complex workforce in large, diverse organisations.
- Good knowledge of, and proven practical ability for, budgeting and resource allocation procedures and the ability to make difficult choices as to the deployment of resources.
- Considerable analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Organisational and project management ability.
- Multi tasker with the ability to meet deadlines.