HEART OF THE UK, SOUL OF THE COMMONWEALTH
Do you love your city and want to show the world what Birmingham and the West Midlands has to offer?
We are looking for 2,022, 16* – 25 year olds to participate in the official Commonwealth Games handover event on Sunday 15 April 2018. Over two thousand people will come together in a large-scale event, in a secret Birmingham location, giving a glimpse into what the world can expect from the city when it hosts the Games in 2022.
We are looking to represent the young and diverse population of the city and region. The deadline for applications is 23:59 Wednesday 21 March 2018, whether you are a trained dancer or are happy moving to a beat we would love to hear from you.
Choreographed by Rosie Kay, performed live, to an estimated worldwide audience of one billion people, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to show the world what Birmingham is made of!
Applicants need to be able to commit to the following dates:
– A ‘try out’ session on either Friday 30 March, Saturday 31 March or Tuesday 3 April
– Some rehearsal sessions between the dates 7 – 11 April, (details tbc, not inclusive)
– All day rehearsals (09:00 – 18:00) on Thursday 12 April, Friday 13 April and Saturday 14 April
– Performance date: 08:00 – 15:00 on Sunday 15 April
Unfortunately, we are not able to accept submissions from people who cannot commit to the above dates.
All rehearsals and performances will be local to Birmingham City Centre. A travel bursary will be provided for rehearsal dates only.
*YOUNG PEOPLE AGED 16+ MAY ATTEND UNACCOMPANIED PROVIDING THEY ARE OVER 16 YEARS OLD BY 31 AUGUST 2017 AND CAN PRESENT PHOTOGRAPHIC ID AND EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
2. A travel bursary will be provided for the rehearsal dates only and not the ‘Try Out’ session.
3. Once you have attended the Try Out session, we will confirm via email whether you have been successful or not.
4. We will provide drinking water during the Try Out and rehearsal sessions. These will be no longer than four hours at a time.
5. Food will be provided on 12 – 15 April only, as these will be full rehearsal / performance days.
6. As we are expecting large numbers of participants at each session, unfortunately we cannot allow friends and family to accompany you during the try out and rehearsal sessions.
7. We will give you guidance on your performance clothing closer to the event.
8. If at any point, you decide you would not like to be part of the project, you are under no obligation to continue, however please email [email protected].