Volunteers will be the beating heart of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. We’ll train up more than 12,500 passionate, dedicated and enthusiastic people from all walks of life to help the Games to life.
Our volunteers will have an essential role in delivering 11 days of spectacular competition. They’ll be the faces of Birmingham 2022 for one million spectators attending the biggest sporting event the West Midlands has ever seen.
The dedication and hard work of our volunteers will be rewarded with memories to last a lifetime.
Volunteers are highly visible ambassadors for the Games. Volunteers will be representative of our city and region, and the unique experience they receive will ensure a lasting legacy way beyond the event itself.
Birmingham 2022 is the Games for everyone and we’re looking for volunteers that reflect the diverse communities of Birmingham, the West Midlands and the UK.
Further information about what we’re looking for from our volunteers can be found below.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old by 1st January 2022. If you are aged 14-17 see below;
- You must be available to volunteer for the full duration of the Games (28 July – 8 August 2022) period and committed to complete a minimum of eight volunteer shifts;
- You must be able to speak and read English or BSL;
- You must be eligible to volunteer in the UK;
- You must agree to and pass relevant security and background checks;
- You will be required to accept the volunteer role and venue you are offered;
- You must complete and attend all required training.
Register Your Interest in the Games to receive updates and further information on the volunteering programme.
Our volunteer roles are many and varied, with something to suit every interest. There will be opportunities to volunteer at venues in Birmingham, the wider West Midlands and London.
There will be two kinds of Games volunteer – generalist and specialist. Each successful applicant will be assigned to a specific role which will significantly contribute to the success of the Games:
- Specialist volunteers will have specific existing skills or qualifications that areneeded for them to complete the role – for example, sport or medical training;
- Generalist volunteers will not need any special skills or qualifications but will be passionate about making a difference and about being part of the team who make this the best Games ever.
All volunteers will receive full training to prepare them for the role they’ve been recruited to perform.
More information and detail on the huge range of volunteer roles available will be released over the coming months.
All applications will be on an individual basis and considered based on the skills, experience and preferences of each individual applicant.
We can’t specify yet which role you’ll be asked to perform, the location or who you’ll be volunteering with, but we can guarantee that you will make lots of new friends and unique memories on the journey.
However, please don’t let that stop you from getting as many friends and family involved and applying alongside you.
All volunteers are responsible for arranging and paying any accommodation they may require before or during the Games.
On the days that volunteers have shifts, their travel within the West Midlands will be covered by Birmingham 2022.
Volunteers will be responsible for arranging and paying for any transport to get to and from the West Midlands during the Games period.
A limited number of volunteer places will be available for people who are aged 14-17 by 1st January 2022. Applications for these volunteers will be separate to the general programme application process.
More information and details about the young volunteer programme will be released over the coming months.
We carefully compare the information given at application stage to match the available volunteer positions with the applicant’s preferences (volunteer role, location, availability etc.) taken into consideration.
We expect to receive a significant number of applications, so no guarantees can be made as to the role or venue that you will be offered and we unfortunately cannot provide feedback on applications.