Reporting to the Head of Sport Competition this a great opportunity to join the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as a Sport Competition Cluster Manager. The Sport Competition Cluster Managers will be responsible for the oversight of planning for a cluster of 4-5 Games sports, coordinating the collection of sport specific competition requirements and dissemination of information to internal Games functional areas to enable integrated planning for each sport within the designated cluster. The role will also fulfil the responsibilities of a Competition Manager for one identified Games sport throughout the planning process and through to delivery at Games time.
- Develop relationships with selected International Sport Federations and associated National Governing Bodies, ensuring that the later are included in planning and discussions where possible;
- Oversee the planning for a cluster of 4-5 Games sports and directly manage the detailed planning and Games time operation of one identified sport, ensuring delivery to a World Class level;
- Work closely with the relevant English/UK Governing Bodies on the appointment and development of National Technical Officials and the sourcing, training and development of the sport specific volunteer workforce;
- Manage the development of each sport specific delivery plan, sourcing the required sport specific technical information and providing it to Games Functional Areas;
- Support the development and implementation of key sport competition elements including the competition schedule, International Federation visits and operational policies;
- Coordinate regular communication with identified sport stakeholders and delivery agencies, to develop and maintain effective relationships;
- Actively contribute to venue and operational planning to ensure sport specific technical elements are effectively integrated into Games wide planning;
- Ensure the Field of Play (FoP) for each sport is being designed and delivered in line with the required technical and competition standards of the International Sport Federations;
- Recruit and manage the Competition Managers for the designated sports to help build a strong competition management team;
Skills and Experience required
- Experience of working within Sport Competition at a multi-sport event;
- Previous experience of leading a team within the sport / event industry;
- Exposure to and knowledge of International requirements for Games sports;
- Knowledge of sport competition requirements and relevant integration into a multi-sport Games environment;
- Relationship management experience dealing with National and/or International Sport Federations;
- An understanding of sport specific programming and integration into a multi-sport environment;
- Experience in recruiting, training and managing a large volunteer workforce;
- Previous experience working in a project management capacity within the sport and/or event sector, involving multiple tasks and stakeholders;
- Excellent communication, diplomatic and interpersonal skills; the ability to enthuse, negotiate and influence across a variety of forms of communication;
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
For more details, download the Job Description.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and committed to becoming a disability Confident Employer. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities.
Disability Confident, download the form.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match our requirements along with the Disability Confident form (if applicable) to email@example.com.