About the role
In July 2022, Birmingham will host the XXII Commonwealth Games, the largest multi-sport event to be held in England in 10 years. Approximately 6,500 athletes and team officials from 71 nations and territories across the Commonwealth will come together in a celebration of sport, culture and business. Events will take place across Birmingham and the West Midlands, entertaining more than one million ticketed spectators and reaching a global broadcast audience of more than one billion.
As the Head of Health & Safety you will have responsibility and accountability for strategically planning, coordinating and monitoring delivery of all aspects of Health & Safety (H&S) for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced and qualified H&S professional dealing with a multi-venue event.
This role will be responsible for the development and implementation of effective policies, procedures, systems and services to provide and maintain the highest level of safety awareness, occupational health and injury prevention across all of the Organising Committee's operations and functions.
This role will also lead and deliver a range of assurance activities designed to support coordination, planning and monitoring of H&S. Included in this will be general advice, inspections, investigations and liaison with statutory authorities and other stakeholders.
This role will target best practice levels of safety and legislative compliance in an environment of continuous improvement.
The Organising Committee is committed to showing leadership in sustainability by delivering B2022 to international standards. All employees will be responsible to ensure that they understand and apply the principles of sustainable development to B2022 planning and delivery.
The Head of Health & Safety role will be responsible for the Organising Committee’s compliance to the relevant health and safety regulations in relation to the operation and delivery of the Games and all temporary infrastructure utilised.
This position also incorporates responsibility for the following areas of risk, corporate (office), workforce health and safety, including co-ordination of the training of c.42,000 workers, temporary infrastructure and site visits
All employees are responsible for ensuring work activities align with the Organising Committee values.
Responsibilities of this role will evolve during the lifespan of the Organising Committee and it is likely that the role profile will evolve with the changing needs of the OC.
- Relevant field and professional H&S qualification
- Experience and expertise in assisting an organisations evolution through a number of different phases of H&S implementation
- Proven success in supporting the management and delivery of large scale projects and building strong collaborative relationships with clients and other key stakeholders
- Experience delivering H&S training programs.
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Extensive experience and successful track record in H&S at a strategic and operational level in the UK.
- Extensive experience in the development and implementation of H&S plans, policies, procedures and systems
- Previous experience managing a small team (3-4 people)
- Previous experience of working at major multi-sport or single sports event or events and/or in the direct provision of services for the sports, athletes, and/or officials at such events
- Embraces diversity and displays respect and loyalty to colleagues, the organisation and partners
- Displays the highest levels of integrity and commitment with an ability to deliver excellent results
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
For more details, download the Job Description.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and committed to becoming a disability Confident Employer. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities.
Disability Confident, download the form.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match our requirements along with the Disability Confident form (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Security Workforce Manager
Closes: 5 February 2020
Read moreView job
Lead Marketing Manager
Closes: 19 February 2019
Read moreView job
Lead Communications Manager
Closes: 27 January 2020
Read moreView job
Not found the job you are interested in? Please register your details below for future updates.
Register your interest