Reporting to the Head of Games Services this a unique opportunity to join the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as Accommodation Lead. The Accommodation Lead is responsible for the Accommodation programme, delivering on its objectives to ensure that enough, suitable accommodation is obtained at reasonable prices which is then allocated and accounted for correctly, to all accommodation users for whom the Birmingham 2022 Organising Committee is responsible.
- Analyse the Game-wide accommodation requirements and develop strategies to successfully deliver appropriate levels of accommodation to all Games clients.
- Review the requirements/operations of the Accommodation Services Provider.
- Drive the negotiation process to contract the required accommodation properties at competitive rates.
- Working with an appointed Accommodation Services Provider, Accommodation is fully integrated into the planning and provision of other operational functions e.g. security, transport, accreditation, etc.
- Working with an appointed Accommodation Services Provider, ensure that processes and systems for distributing, reserving, financing and tracking accommodation stock are developed and operational in good time.
- Develop policies and procedures for the Accommodation Functional Area.
- Provide accommodation for pre-Games events including Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) Coordination Commission meetings, Chef de Mission meetings and other events as required.
- Liaise with key internal and external stakeholders including Games accommodation properties, Tourism bodies, Birmingham Convention Bureau, etc.
- Manage contracts and ensure compliance with Games accommodation properties.
- Provide regular reports to the CGF in relation to the accommodation plan and room rates.
- Work with Birmingham 2022 Functional Areas to ensure appropriate Games time workforce accommodation is available.
- Develop an accommodation team structure including roles and responsibilities.
- Focus on the continual improvement of each member of the team and the team as a whole.
- Delegate effectively and enable others to achieve.
- Review and develop Accommodation Functional Area budgets.
- Oversee the hotel invoicing process and cash management receipting associated with client reservations, in conjunction with an appointed Accommodations Services Provider.
- Monitor the Accommodation budget.
Skills and Experience required
- Ability to think strategically and long term in relation to accommodation and its interaction with other operational functions.
- Ability to design and implement systems in accommodation field which complement longer term thinking.
- Ability to weigh complex inputs across the organisation and outside when making commercial decisions.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, frequently under pressure, on multiple tasks.
- Flexibility to support several different projects within the Accommodation function and to adapt to the differing demands.
- Ability to influence, communicate technical issues and support other functional areas to manage their budgets.
strong commercial, financial analysis, team-building and management skills gained in a Hospitality background.
- Managed a significant accommodation function including a reservation department and have extensive experience in the hospitality industry.
- Ability to think strategically; strong leadership skills; excellent organizational and management skills; good commercial sense; excellent negotiation skills; strong financial analysis skills in relation to hotel P&Ls.
- Managed teams which have run complex accommodation reservation and distribution systems and carried out negotiations with hotels, travel agents and tour operators.
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
For more details, download the Job Description.
Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation and committed to becoming a disability Confident Employer. We encourage applications from all backgrounds and communities.
Disability Confident, download the form.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter detailing how your skills and experience match our requirements along with the Disability Confident form (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org.