Reporting to the Head of Engagement & Legacy this a unique opportunity to join the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games as Accessibility Manager. The purpose of the role is to adopt a proactive, leadership position for Birmingham 2022 on issues of accessibility, engaging and managing stakeholders, including organising and managing consultation with agencies that support people with disabilities and to develop a Birmingham 2022 response to any stakeholder requirements or standards for accessibility and develop a methodology to demonstrate Birmingham 2022’s commitment to accessibility.
Key responsibilities include:
- Develop and champion the adoption of a Birmingham 2022 Accessibility methodology across the OC and support its implementation within the key FAs
- Monitor, audit and report adherence to the methodology
- Be Birmingham 2022’s Accessibility expert both internally and externally
- Unify Birmingham 2022’s approach to accessibility internally (through chairing an accessibility action group, if required) and instil it across all functional areas ensuring that the ‘feel’ of workforce, spectators, volunteers and athletes is of an equivalent standard in every venue and location across the Games experience.
- Develop innovative access ideas which add value and can be integrated into each Functional Area operational plan.
- Engage with Birmingham 2022 staff to ensure that diversity and inclusion generally, and accessibility specifically, are seen as a benefit not a hindrance and are therefore considered from the outset of each activity.
- Ensure there are integrating accessible standards for the Para sports, workforce and spectator experience
- Develop appropriate Games time policies for all aspects of Accessibility
- Maintain an informed position on all Birmingham 2022 projects and an understanding of the accessibility issues on each project, acting as an internal expert.
- Provide succinct, pragmatic and balanced verbal and written advice to Birmingham 2022 staff.
- Influence Birmingham 2022 procurement policies to ensure accessibility and/or inclusive design is central to the decision-making process.
- Understand the implications of all relevant legislation and any CGF technical Accessibility Standards and interpret these into practical applications for Birmingham 2022 ensuring B2022 meets its obligations in the most cost-effective manner.
- Ensure effective delivery of accessible Games-time services, infrastructure and temporary overlay.
- Be responsible for helping to provide high quality access provision to all client groups for the B2022 Commonwealth Games.
- Develop a set of standards and conduct access reviews of all overlay schemes and operational plans to ensure they meet the commitment to host the most inclusive ever Games.
- Quantify, monitor and control the ongoing accessibility impact of the activities, events and legacy of the games for all B2022 partners and stakeholders
- Act as the first point of contact for enquiries made by stakeholders relating to accessibility issues.
The successful candidate will have:
- ‘Hands-on’ professional experience of accessibility issues across workforce, venues and transport in large scale projects.
- Demonstrable experience of working with Investors / Leaders in Diversity Accreditation
- Experience or working with Disability Confident Accredited Employers
- Be a recognised expert in the field of Inclusive Design.
- Detailed working knowledge and practical understanding of the relevant accessibility technical standards
- Ability to research and synthesise complex technical subjects into practical, cost-effective and timely action plans and solutions
- Experience in supporting multiple projects simultaneously
- Experience of other major event environmental programmes would be a considerable advantage
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary organisation and to cooperate both internally and with external organisations in an integrated manner
This position is subject to a criminal record check from the Disclosure and Barring Service.
The Birmingham 2022 is an equal opportunities organisation. We encourage applications from all diverse backgrounds and communities.
For more details, download the job description.
Apply by submitting your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.