During this challenging time, we want to help try and bring people together, albeit virtually, to share their experiences and forge new friendships.
To help make this happen, we’ve launched ‘Dinner with Strangers’ and we’re looking for people from across the West Midlands to take part in this project.
Whilst we are all physically social distancing, Dinner With Strangers will help build a virtual bridge between two people from different walks of life. Regardless of your age*, where you are from or what you do – our aim is to unite.
We‘ll handpick 44 people to take part in this virtual dinner ‘date’, during which you’ll discuss each other’s hopes, fears, traditions and cultures, as well as sharing your experience of lockdown.
The conversations will be recorded, collated and shared across our social channels and website.
Dinner With Strangers will feature 22 dinner ‘dates’. That’s 22 new friendships that could be forged.
How does it work?
- Complete the application form and answer questions about yourself and your interests, beliefs, dreams, fears and values.
- Successful applicants will receive a digital information pack including a set of instructions, a deck of potential questions, and the link you’ll need to access your video call.
- When dinner commences, we’ll invite you to watch a commissioned piece of artistic work via video as an interesting conversation starter.
- Next, you’ll delve into getting to know the person on-screen as you enjoy your meal. Feel free to use the deck of questions provided as prompts.
- At the end of the ‘date’, we’ll send you a food voucher to cover your meal and an evaluation form. We’ll use this to find out how you found the experience.
- We’ll also get in touch later down the line to find out if you’ve kept in touch.
Date and time
- Wednesday 20th May, 6pm – 8pm UK time, online
- Thursday 21st May 2020, 6pm – 8pm UK time, online
What you need to take part:
- You must be aged 18 or over
Access to a laptop, desktop, tablet or smartphone with a front-facing camera
- Reliable internet connection
- A meal to eat during your dinner date
Please note by filling out this application form you are agreeing to share your data with Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
All dates will be recorded and edited into online content across Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games social media channels and promotional purposes. We cannot guarantee that all/any of your footage will be used.
Should you be selected to be paired with a stranger, you will be informed on Monday 18th May 2020.
For your chance to participate, simply complete the application form below and submit it before Wednesday 13th May 2020 at midday.
Applications have now closed.